01/22/2019 • Contributors Peter Jordan
This tutorial shows how to Install a Synap IoT Device
Before you begin, you should already have the following in place:
- Access to a regular power outlet for the Power Supply
- A Smart Phone or a Laptop.
- A WiFi SSID that you can use to connect the Synap IoT Device to
- Access code to the WiFi SSID
Install the Synap IoT Device
1. Unbox the device and plug in the power source.
2. Use a Smart Phone or a computer with Wireless Network access, to scan for new WiFi network called Synap-<DeviceId>
3. Connect to the Synap IoT Device:
4. Select Configure WiFi to automatically search for known SSID’s on the network. If you have a hidden SSID select Configure WiFi (No Scan) and enter you SSID manually.
5. Select the SSID that will be used for the Synap IoT Devices and enter the Password.
6. Click Save
The Synap IoT Device is now connected to the selected WiFi SSID. Use the following methods to find the IP address for the Synap IoT Device on the network:
- If Multicast DNS (mDNS) is enabled on the network, simply browse to SynapSensor.local to get to the Configuration Page of the Device.
- Open a Command Prompt and use arp -a to locate the MAC address of the Device and the corresponding IP address.
- Look at the DHCP service related to the SSID, and locate the latest IP address lease
Note: The MAC address of the Device, is the DeviceId. You can find the DeviceId on the label on the box the Device was in and also on the back of the Device.
The Synap IoT Device have now successfully been connected to the WiFi SSID. Continue to the Device Configuration page to finish the installation.